Archive for the 'Community' Category

The world basketball festival (Aug 12-15) is less than a month away. Player appearances, retail pop-up shops and actual on-court action in unprecedented places (Namely Times Square) is on the way, but before all that action attacks Manhattan, the people at Nike, Converse and Brand Jordan wanted to give a everyone a chance to see how all aspects of the game started, how we got here and where the future will take us.

Read More »

Last week, got a win in the Lower Manhattan Classic on Sunday but then took a tough loss to Iced Tea on Thursday. No excuses, we had a full roster, 6-9 Spanish pro, Nacho Martin, even filled in for us off the bench, he’ll be running with us until he goes back to Spain at the end of the month. We played well enough to win, got within 3 pts in the final 3:00 min but for the first time in this league, we flat out got outplayed.

PG for Iced Tea sealed the deal with back-to-back 3s. I don’t know the kid’s name but he put in work. Feisty, too, my kind of guard, a lot like Joe Kim. Anyway, Ham-Fish up on Wednesday night then we have a “friendly” (or “exhibition game” in American) against good friend of the Fury, Roman “El Regalo” Perez (who plays on our Fastbreak NYC team), Nacho and some pros from Spain and the DR they’ve put together. Should be a good run, come out to Fury vs. Watch Out, Thursday, 8:30pm @ MLK HS (122 Amsterdam Ave) to take a peek. Until next time…

The Chosen Basketball League is back! See flyer for details on how you can participate.

Last week I had the pleasure of checking out a Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN) game between Ponce and San German. It was an important game for seeding as playoffs were approaching fast. The game was so good I had to share what I experienced with you.

Rodney White, picked 9th overall in the 2001 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons (ahead of Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker and Gilbert Arenas among others) led the Ponce Leones in what was a slugfest of basketball with playoff implications. Read More »

The Summer of 2010 will feature the 19th consecutive season for the New York Knicks Summer Basketball Camp. Knicks Basketball Camp, presented by Under Armour & Powerade, will provide boys and girls ages 8-18 with a structured basketball learning experience that encourages team participation and personal development. Knicks campers each receive an official Under Armour Knicks Camp uniform (shorts/jersey), Knicks/Liberty tickets and Powerade daily. Read More »

If it starts to get wet out and you’re in the neighborhood, duck into “The King,” MLK HS (122 Amsterdam Ave.) today and check out some of the best and brightest Asian-American basketball talent New York and DC has to offer. Read More »

Caoch Hurley sitting outside of St. Anthony's

A lot of the kids playing basketball are trying to survive. They’re trying to figure out how they can dream. A lot [live in areas where they] don’t even have dreams and [have a difficult time] figuring out how they can turn their dreams into reality. That’s what Bob Hurley does. That’s what St. Anthony does. - Coach Mike Krzyzewski, Duke University… Read More »

The new Man Up Invitational Pro League starts April 18, 2010. A $500 deposit must be made before April 5, 2010 to guarantee a spot. The League is Pro modified rules with 24 minute halves. There will be at least 10 games plus two All-Star games (one with the top 20 players in the league and the winner will play an All-Star team from another league). For more information contact Arnell Milton at (917) 733-3127 or click Read More to see the specifics of the league. Do not pass on this opportunity to play! Read More »